Grinity, I agree with you in principal, and in fact when I didn't really know what I wanted to do in life, I took the LSAT without prep, thinking that if I didn't do well enough, maybe law school was not for me... (Stupid plan, as I did well enough to get in, but not well enough to get so many scholarships, which I likely could have done if I had studied!) But the fact remains that there never will really be a level playing field except maybe the very first time a different type of test comes out, where it's impossible to prep.

I think if the GT programs are worth it, and really are beneficial to the kids who need them, the parents who prep their kids to get into the program may have the plan backfire if their kids do not do so well once in the program. You want your kids to get a decent education, but you don't want to torture them with something that's too hard/too fast for them in reality. But I think the true GT programs are more rare (i.e., not just enrichment or methods of teaching that can benefit all kids). And this whole prepping thing will work itself out by locality.

Of course, the better practice to screen for GT is to consider several factors, not just one test that will not catch the kids whose parents haven't had a chance to prep them.....

Last edited by st pauli girl; 07/10/11 09:40 AM.