My very lengthy post just poofed but I would suggest reading Giftedness and Asperger's Syndrome: A New Agenda for Education http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/eric/fact/asperger.pdf (sorry, I cannot get to full reply screen for some reason). Table 2 is very telling about these children. Yes, homeschooling is becoming more popular and recognized for this population than when it was published in 2002, but it is a very good article none the less. wink

The quote I like best and try to keep in mind for these kids (especially now when my DD is 11) from Losing Our Minds, "It is very hard for highly intelligent-but immature and inexperienced-young people to be patient with others who are on a completely different intellectual plane. Appropriate group interaction is very difficult for highly advanced children under the age of 14-the age at which their experience and maturity begins to get closer to their reasoning."

I will try and come back later and post about our PS experience, or you can search my user name. In our experience advocacy and accomodations will really vary by state, by school district, by principal, and by teacher. Many educators do not understand the nature of gifted with AS in order to provide appropriate interventions, it is a whole different monster than just gifted or just AS.

At the time of my DD's diagnosis I was told that the psychologists were pretty comfortable with it but that there were only 5 psychologists in the country that could differentiate GT and GT/AS in kids with IQ's over 145. I'm not sure what the number is now. This is why I said, treat the symptoms, treat the child, regardless of the diagnosis.

Last edited by melmichigan; 06/16/11 07:15 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader