Ok, I have to first say I didn't know that dyspraxia was the same or similiar to dysgraphia. I am still picking my jaw up off the floor because my son was just diagnosed with gaving disgraphia. He scored REALLY low for his handwriting with the testing he just had done. frown I was told he shouldn't stop writing all together but that he was to be taught keyboarding for his compositions because his curriculum has strong focus on writing skills and he has a lot of them to do every year and that will likely continue to increase as he accelerates.

Now to answer your question....

The way my son's GIEP was written up to focus on gifted areas or strengths was that it said he was to be grouped with children equal to his ability for both math and reading. Studies show that kids need to be with their intellectual peers for at least 50% of their school day and the school he was attending CLAIMED that they would do this and that math and reading were 50% of their school day. (I say CLAIMED because he was NOT grouped with his intellectual peers for either subject and I could tell that just by the homework and tests he brought home! He was grouped with his age peers who were on the higher end intellectually for that grade. :rolleyes: ). It also listed his strongest interests and said that he would be stimulated in those areas such as his voracious appetite for knowledge on dinosaurs, the inter-workings of the human body etc. I believe there was something in there about him being taught more computer skills but I never really noticed any increased profficiency so...I can't say if they did that or not. Basically I would have a list of his strengths and interests and ask them to not only focus on stimulating them but to help him with the weaknesses as you have outlined above. smile

M.

"Learning can only happen when a child is interested. If he's not
interested it's like throwing marshmallows at his head and calling it
eating." -Anonymous