Hoagies and A to Z, definitely.

When we homeschooled, we did not do any traditional boxed curricula. I wrote my own language arts work, based on my experiences as a writer, my frustrations and points of pride with the kids' abilities thus far, and a consultation with a family member who teaches incoming freshmen at Large Land-Grant University. We learned marine biology (because we live near the Gulf) and a lot of environmental science (because they wanted to), a little basic chemistry, and would have started biology this year had they not gone back to school. American history got incorportated into genealogy, or maybe it was the other way around. And they attended a co-op, where they learned how to play frisbee golf, make claymation movies, Norse mythology, and a lot of other artsy and not entirely academic stuff. Occasionally, we veered into unschooling, apparently more than I recognized at the time. And one of the kids did do online math, because he wanted to go faster and further than I was prepared to do with his sister.
The point being that homeschooling at its best is when you make it suit your family and your needs. So yes, investigate everything that's out there, but don't get sucked into buying any one comprehensive curriculum because it's highly recommended. And if something doesn't work for you, don't feel obliged to continue on because you've started with it. Haunt your local educational supply shop. Have frequent school meetings, Talk to the kids about what's working and what isn't. My best advice is to give them a little of the power to decide what you do, and when (though not Ultimate Power Over Everything), because they get much more invested in what they're doing if they're helping to steer the course. Talk to them about what they want to be when they grow up, and let them investigate the steps in getting there. And if it's an option, you can also check out what the local public and private schools offer homeschoolers (in our case, and at varying times, music and gifted programs).
Oh yeah: and my favorite homeschooling motto:
"Give a child a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a child to fish and he'll eat forever. Teach a child to think and he won't have to eat fish."

Last edited by eldertree; 04/26/11 12:14 PM.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."