Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 254 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    sailare, malik, watkinsayden81, thomaszx, Peter Jhonson
    11,480 Registered Users
    July
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    Leigh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    My question is about my ODD. But I'll start by saying that we recently tested YDD for private school admission (WPPSI-III) - her FSIQ is a 150. Someone on another board sent me here and thought someone here might be able to give me insight into my ODD's scores.

She took the WPPSI-III for admission to the same school two years ago. Instead of testing indepently, we tested her through the school, because it was significantly less expensive. I was disappointed that school only shared her scaled scores and would not share her overall IQ score (one reason we chose to test little sister independently). I understand from reading these boards that I *should* have access to them. Does FERPA apply to private schools, as well as public? I know if I had to I could fight for them, but I'd rather not "rock the boat." We are beyond thrilled with the school.

These are her scores:

Verbal:
    Information-19
    Vocabulary-18
    Word Reasoning-17
    Similarities - 17

Performance:
    Block Design-18
    Matrix Reasoning-16
    Picture Concepts-13

Processing Speed:
    Symbol Search-14
    Coding-13

Is there a way to estimate a FSIQ score based on these numbers? I don't understand how these tests are scored. I know she's a bright girl and she excels in school. I know that ultimately, the score doesn't matter - because she's in a private school, we're not looking for T&G services. I'm just curious! :-)

Thanks!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Leigh
    Does FERPA apply to private schools, as well as public?
    Here's part of the answer.
    FERPA is a Federal law that applies to educational agencies and institutions that receive funding under a program administered by the U. S. Department of Education. Parochial and private schools at the elementary school levels do not generally receive such funding and, therefore, are not subject to FERPA.
    http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/parents.html

L
    Leigh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks - good to know! So I guess they are not required to share the scores with me. Darn! :-) Like I said, I don't really want to make a fuss... but I've always wondered!

I am hoping to apply her for a gifted program in the summer that requires test scores. At the very least, I think I can get the percentile.

Thanks for the info!

Another psychologist could look up the FSIQ in a table given those scaled scores.

R
    R
    hi leigh
    Can you check the scores/subtest..The number of subtests and what they are called seeem to be off. "Information" is a subtest only on the WPPSI, but "Picture Concepts" is only on the WISC . Also there should be only three verbal subtests. My guess though is the FSIQ will come out in range of 146 to 148..
    irene

L
    Leigh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hmmm.... double checked. We applied DD to two schools and both schools listed her scores exactly like I did above. I double-checked against YDD's scores, and they have the exact same subtests listed, but "similarities" and "symbol search" are written in parentheses. Maybe those subtests aren't factored into the FSIQ???? I guess if you omit similarities, it leaves only 3 subtests for Verbal, but I can't explain the picture concepts test.

Also, all reports state the WPPSI-III was the test administered and as far as I know, it wasn't modified. Sorry, guess I'm not much help. All of this is very foreign to me! Thanks for your guess - I was thinking 145ish, based on my very limited research, so maybe I'm better at understanding this test than I thought!

Unless I am mistaken the VIQ is 150 and a qualifying DYS score. Congratulations! My estimate is that her FSIQ is around 142-144.

Those are all wonderful scores and

WPPSI does include both Picture Concepts and Information.

LMom
    Originally Posted by Leigh
    I double-checked against YDD's scores, and they have the exact same subtests listed, but "similarities" and "symbol search" are written in parentheses. Maybe those subtests aren't factored into the FSIQ????

If the tests are in parentheses then they weren't included in the FSIQ.

LMom
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    ((((The WPPSI-III contains 7 core subtests for ages 4:0 to 7:3; Information, Vocabulary, Word Reasoning (VIQ), Block Design, Matrix Reasoning, Picture Concepts (PIQ), and Coding (FSIQ). Supplemental tests for 4 to 7:3 group are Symbol Search, Comprehension, Picture Completion, Similarities, Object Assembly (PSQ), and the optional subtests are Receptive Vocabulary and Picture Naming (GLC). The WPPSI-III employs the Deviation IQ (M=100, SD=15) for the Verbal, Performance and Full Scale IQS, and scaled scores (M=100, SD=3) for the subtests )))

Subtests listed in parenthesis are supplemental, they complete the picture and are NOT used to calculate scores (verbal/performance/FSIQ).

I hope Dottie can help you and get the FSIQ from what you listed. You know what, in fact, I think if I were in your shoes I'd just ask YDD's tester for them. It would not take this tester more than a few minutes to get them for you.

YDD's score qualify for the YSP (Davidson Young Scholars Program). You would need achievement testing to supplement that data set, OR portfolio items showing her working 2-4?) years above grade level. I am NO expert, but I also think ODD's scores might make the cut, and if not, they are probably very close in the verbal part. Since she was hitting several ceilings (close to the end of the test's range); it is possible that she would get the qualifying scores if tested on the WISC (the older version that starts at 6-0).

As a reference (and I don't know how the age part factors into this), my YDD's verbal scores at 4-5 (age) added up to 52, which translated into a 145 verbal IQ, and already at the 99.9% (but not getting to the 150 needed for DYS).

I don't think it is worth fighting with the school about the scores. I would explore the other psychologist first if you don't get an answer here. Alternately, you could ask them saying that you want to apply for this program that offers some interesting summer programs (as suggested in other posts here), and that you need the rest of the numbers.

Both DDs' are really out there!

I am more awake now wink The FSIQ is 144. Dottie, feel free to add it to your list.

54 for PIQ gives 150, so I would assume that 54 for VIQ gives the same number. Or is it possible that the same sum gives different numbers for VIQ and PIQ?

LMom
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    help understanding wppsi scores
    by aeh - 07/25/24 10:20 AM
    Opinions on School
    by Heidi_Hunter - 07/16/24 10:52 AM
    Adventure Academy
    by Heidi_Hunter - 07/11/24 04:29 AM
    IEP questions