Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 435 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    R
    Rayson Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    My first post, but been a lurker for a while. First of all, thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful community. Personally, I have immensely benefited through this forum and educated myself on various topics related to gifted parenting.

Past/Background:

I have been thinking of getting my DS10 tested by a psychologist for last 2 years. But, we have been putting it off primarily due to steep expenses involved. Also, it's been a blessing that my son's teachers had been very supportive in advocating for enrichment at school. Two+ years ago, he was tested by his gifted teacher using CoGAT (sp?) when he was in 2nd grade. Then he was recommended for grade acceleration skipping 3rd. Since then, we have moved to a new better school district recently and he is now the youngest child in his 5th grade class.

Today:

So, I finally bit the bullet and shelled out $$ and got my DS10 tested for both IQ and achievement tests. My primary purpose was to see if he would qualify for DYS. Unfortunately, his IQ scores fell short, but his achievement test results did meet DYS qualification criteria. While it's not the end of the world if he doesn't get into DYS, I would like to do the best we can with the application. At this point, I realize that I don't have a choice but take the portfolio route, but I wanted to seek assistance on a few questions I have:

1. What weight does DYS give to achievement tests versus IQ tests? Are they treated equally or differently?
    2. Will it generally help if I get more than 2 reference letters from son's teachers?
    3. DS loves computers and programming. He developed Android apps when he was 7/8. What's the best way to portray such examples in the portfolio?
    4. Any other creative suggestions to strengthen a case for DYS?

Please offer any advice you can give!!

For your reference, below are recent test results:

- WISC-IV (IQ test):

Scale - Sum of scaled scores, Comp score, Percentile

Verbal Comprehension (VCI) - 49, 138, 99%
    Perceptual Reasoning (PRI) - 38, 117, 87%
    Working Memory (WMI) - 27, 120, 91%
    Processing Speed (PSI) - 26, 118, 88%
    Full Scale (FSIQ) - 140, 130, 98%

- WIAT-III (Achievement test):

Subtest - Raw score - Standard score - Percentile

Reading Comprehension - 40* - 125 - 95%
    Math Problem Solving - 59 - 144 - 99.8%
    Word Reading - 69 - 134 - 99%
    Pseudoword Decoding - 50 - 139 - 99.5%
    Numerical Operations - 46 - 160 - >99.9%
    Spelling - 59 - 159 - >99.9%

Composite reading - 273 - 145 - 99.9%
    Composite Math - 304 - 154 - >99.9%

Also, DS10's EXPLORE tests from Feb 2013 qualify for DYS.

English - 21 (missed 4 on rhetorical) 87%
    Reading - 25 100%
    Math - 18 83%
    Science - 14 11%
    Composite - 20 92%

According to DYS site, Composite, Reading and Math scores qualify for 5th grade.

Thank you in advance for reading my post!!

Last edited by Rayson; 04/14/13 06:19 PM.
    G
    G
    I don't really have answers to your questions, but I wanted to respond to give your post a bump. Just based on my browsing of recent posts, it looks as though it is somewhat harder to get in with achievement scores and a portfolio, but perhaps the fact that you have two qualifying achievement scores will work in your favor.

Good luck!

C
    C
    Take my opinion with a grain of salt in that we've never applied to DYS even though I do have one child who had qualifying WISC-IV scores 5+ yrs ago. My general guess, though, would be that she probably wouldn't get in with the scores you have b/c none of the IQ pieces qualify. I believe that the portfolio option is meant to be used when either IQ or achievement is not available not when one or the other doesn't hit their minimum score.

I say this, b/c in looking at old threads, there are quite a few people whose kids were close or just barely there who didn't get in b/c one or the other just wasn't high enough. I came across this fairly recent thread in searching the archives:

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/150361/2.html

I don't know if Davidson takes age of the IQ test into consideration, but looking at the recent thread on the Flynn Effect would also make me wonder if they might consider IQ scores that don't hit their cut point to be more of a disqualifier on an older test. Again, just thinking "out loud," so I'm not sure if they'd take that into consideration or not.

Do you generally have a feel that these IQ scores are too low given the child you know? Do you know any DYS kids for comparison sake? I will say that my one child who is not quite at DYS level does still stand out like a sore thumb when compared to age peers.

R
    Rayson Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Gabalyn - Thank you for responding with your thoughts. Also, thank you for sharing your insights from previous posts from other members on this topic.

Originally Posted by gabalyn
    I don't really have answers to your questions, but I wanted to respond to give your post a bump. Just based on my browsing of recent posts, it looks as though it is somewhat harder to get in with achievement scores and a portfolio, but perhaps the fact that you have two qualifying achievement scores will work in your favor.

Good luck!

T
    T
    My DD was accepted into DYS with achievement scores (WIAT-II) and a portfolio, even though her WISC-IV scores fell short. We did submit reference letters from her teachers, along with school testing scores and work samples. DD had a full grade skip and a double grade skip in Math. (Helpful Hint: We also requested test scores from our entire school district under the Open Records Act. We actually found that DD was performing better than 1 in 1,000 students that were a year or two older than she was!)

If the EXPLORE results are really strong, you should submit those too.

Bottom line, it is possible to qualify with achievement scores. Good luck!

Originally Posted by TX G Mom
    My DD was accepted into DYS with achievement scores and a portfolio. We did submit reference letters from her teachers, along with school testing scores and work samples. (Helpful Hint: We also requested test scores from our entire school district under the Open Records Act. We actually found that DD was performing better than 1 in 1,000 students that were a year or two older than she was!)

I have a question regarding the EXPLORE and DYS. If EXPLORE could not persuade the principal and school district for grade skip, why adding DYS on top of it would work?

R
    Rayson Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Cricket2 - Thank you so much for sharing your honest and candid feedback. I see your point that DYS may actually look at all sub-parts of the IQ test - which don't meet DYS criteria as you have identified below. Regarding your comment on son's IQ scores, I thought of the possibility that he could've had a bad day, etc. But, that only seems like wishful thinking as I ponder on it more. Unfortunately, this is the first IQ test he ever took and he doesn't have any DYS level peers (or at least I have not explored fully). We were mentally prepared for such an outcome before we signed up for the tests.

We haven't had our follow up appointment with the psychologist to discuss a course of plan not for DYS particularly but for what we can do from here on to meet our son's enrichment needs.

Thanks again for your kind support.

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Take my opinion with a grain of salt in that we've never applied to DYS even though I do have one child who had qualifying WISC-IV scores 5+ yrs ago. My general guess, though, would be that she probably wouldn't get in with the scores you have b/c none of the IQ pieces qualify. I believe that the portfolio option is meant to be used when either IQ or achievement is not available not when one or the other doesn't hit their minimum score.

I say this, b/c in looking at old threads, there are quite a few people whose kids were close or just barely there who didn't get in b/c one or the other just wasn't high enough. I came across this fairly recent thread in searching the archives:

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/150361/2.html

I don't know if Davidson takes age of the IQ test into consideration, but looking at the recent thread on the Flynn Effect would also make me wonder if they might consider IQ scores that don't hit their cut point to be more of a disqualifier on an older test. Again, just thinking "out loud," so I'm not sure if they'd take that into consideration or not.

Do you generally have a feel that these IQ scores are too low given the child you know? Do you know any DYS kids for comparison sake? I will say that my one child who is not quite at DYS level does still stand out like a sore thumb when compared to age peers.

Originally Posted by Rayson
    I thought of the possibility that he could've had a bad day, etc.

I would think so. It is also heavily dependent on psychologist's skill.

Originally Posted by Rayson
    he doesn't have any DYS level peers (or at least I have not explored fully).

If your kid had EXPLORE test, then you may find kids at your son's level in those talent search centers such as NUMATS, TIP, or any interest group such math club, writers club, etc.

R
    Rayson Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    TX G Mom - Wow, thanks for sharing your experience. This does give us a glimmer of hope smile Although, I am not raising our hopes too high.

His Explore scores are as follows:

English - 21 (missed 4 on rhetorical) 87%
    Reading - 25 100%
    Math - 18 83%
    Science - 14 11%
    Composite - 20 92%

According to DYS site, Composite, Reading and Math scores qualify.

My DD was accepted into DYS with achievement scores and a portfolio. We did submit reference letters from her teachers, along with school testing scores and work samples. (Helpful Hint: We also requested test scores from our entire school district under the Open Records Act. We actually found that DD was performing better than 1 in 1,000 students that were a year or two older than she was!)

Last edited by Rayson; 04/14/13 04:59 PM.
    C
    C
    My DD was accepted into DYS with achievement scores (WIAT-II) and a portfolio, even though her WISC-IV scores fell short.
    You are the first person here that I recall posting that but it is good to know that there is another side to the story. I totally understand if you don't want to be more specific here, but were your dd's WISC scores very far off? It sounds like the achievement piece was very strong but I wonder how far off one can be on IQ and have another piece offset it.

The OP's IQ scores might also be offset if, like you say, the Explore scores were well beyond the minimum DYS numbers and/or if some unusual scatter within the WISC subtests depressed the subtest scores. I was less optimistic b/c the posted achievement scores weren't well beyond the minimum and the IQ scores aren't just off by a point or two. I could, of course, be wrong though and please do know that, either way, it sounds like you've got a child whose needs won't easily be met in a standard classroom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM