Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 150 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W's Mama - thanks very much. I just heard back from DYS last week and we were given a similar response to you - reapply within 6 months. I'm not sure if they will accept new portfolio samples without new test scores in our case, but I did ask and am waiting for a response.

In our case, I submitted samples of work 3 grades ahead, more for reading but it wasn't enough.

Like you I submitted work that DS7 had done spontaneously on his own, from his previous school, or from grade level that he had been working on (3rd grade stuff). I didn't think about handing him some worksheets from grade 5/6, videotaping him, and seeing if it would convince them.

I got the feeling that they really want the test scores AND the portfolio. One problem for us is that DS was not cooperative with the WJ-III test or earlier WPPSI and we now have to wait another year or so before we can re-test. Another problem is that DS has not been productive or doing much in math and therefore I don't have anything that jumps out to identify him as DYS material. It's frustrating because he's reading adult-level books on ancient Egypt. Now reading this thread, perhaps I should consider videotaping him reading such a book and submitting that to DYS. I don't know.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of it is due to exposure. I'm not a math person, but I know DS7 will eventually take off in math. Yet I can't converse in math well like I can in history/English or talk about advanced math/logic puzzles or mathy things that would appeal to DS and DYS. Urgh. As a result, I've enrolled DS into Math Circles this term.

I'm just thinking - another problem is that DS likes to do the really advanced stuff (i.e. reading adult-level books on ancient Egypt or reading Murderous Maths books) in his bedroom on his own. So any suggestions here? DS can be a bit of a control freak, introvert.

Staceychev - I think you're right. I think it's easier with a mathy/science/engineering/physics kid for DYS. It can be harder to capture the creative, highly imaginative ones. I had some of the same issues you had with school and gathering work samples. I'm now homeschooling and trying to recover from it, which is easier said than done.

Bronalex - I can understand how you feel. I think DYS could word their rejections differently.

Giving this a bump with another question....

For those who were asked for more portfolio items, do you know if these also get held until the 1st of the month like 1st-time applications or do they get looked at as they come in?

I think we're done gathering our extra items but we may as well spend the rest of the month getting some more if it won't be looked at until after April 1st anyway.

Originally Posted by W'sMama
    Giving this a bump with another question....

For those who were asked for more portfolio items, do you know if these also get held until the 1st of the month like 1st-time applications or do they get looked at as they come in?

I think we're done gathering our extra items but we may as well spend the rest of the month getting some more if it won't be looked at until after April 1st anyway.

Just in case anyone else is wondering... if you submit additional materials they asked for, those don't get sent to review until the 1st.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM