Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 323 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    L
    L

There are so many things to consider. We just went through a similar process this past year. My DS9 was given the Iq test and then had to take a 2 grade level above test. Then the Iowa acceleration form was used. I had read somewhere that scoring above 50 percentile on a two grade level or above should be a good score on this sort of test. Our son was being looked at for skipping 3rd grade. So at the end of 2nd grade he took the end of the 4th grade Stanford test. The way I looked at it if he scored 50 percentile he would be entering 4th grade at least in the middle of where other end of the year 4th graders were on the test. So likely after taking 4 th grade he would end up well above that. My gut was he would be at least above 85 percentile after he actually was taught 4th grade. Even though he would have skipped 2 nd. Does this make sense?

Are the 2 grade level above scores you posted the percentage (number she got right out of total questions) or were they percentile (where their score was compared to same grade kids nationwide). I ask because it tells you something different and ours were quite different.

Personally, I would not even worry about social studies and science as your child being in k would not have been introduced to these ubjects as much. I think if gifted these would be picked up easily skipping at her age. I would look at reading and math.

Our son scored good candidate on Iowa scale. The principle Said no and we went to superintendent. He skipped this year. Half way through he is doing great. We are very glad we did it at this point. He is very social so we were pretty confident with this part too. He came home from day 1 excited and talking all bout school and his new fiends.

This doesn't mean it s for everyone. There is a lot more I can share if you would like to IM me.

DS9 Gifted / ADHD
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I've just had an epiphany about this--

the problem here isn't inherently about acceleration, but it's related to "What a Child Doesn't Learn," but about what they have learned instead.

Our kids who aren't challenged in their earliest schooling experiences learn that formal learning environments are about demonstration of mastery/competence, NOT "learning, making mistakes, and growing in understanding." They learn that pleasure comes from KNOWING, not from LEARNING. (Or it had better, if they intend to not spend most of their time miserable-- they adapt to a fixed mindset because of environmental pressures...)

Then in the wake of acceleration, if there is an unresolved lack of challenge, the child interprets this as normal. The contrast, though, leads to labeling the area of appropriate challenge as "too hard" by comparison. Okay, so most of the new placement is "easy" and these few areas feel way hard... ergo, "I struggle at {difficult task}. I don't have very strong skills in that area." It's not an illogical conclusion in a person without much life experience.

ETA: I've also identified why my gut has always maintained that EARLY acceleration is so important-- the more gifted the child, the MORE important. That reason? Consider how rapidly such children learn things. And how permanently they know them. Sobering.
    . I completely agree with your epiphany. Everything you said is how i see it with my DS. This is exactly like my ds9 who skipped third grade this year. I have always said he doesn't know how to "learn". I believe this is because he has never really had to learn. He has just known or understood or retained the first time he hears it. If he doesn't understand something he is almost impossible to teach. He shuts down. He is so used to everything being so easy and just being good at everything that has come his way that he has never had to learn how to learn. This is one of the reasons I pushed so hard to have him accelerated. I didn't want him to go through school never having to work at all or learn how to learn. My bother and mother both said they were in collage and graduate school when they had to learn how to study. I didn't want that for my DS. I also was concerned he would become lazy if he never had to work at something. Does this make sense?

DS9 Gifted / ADHD
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs