Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Originally Posted by SiaSL
    And, quite honestly, one I haven't quite mastered. But I have real life experience of the drawbacks of not being *able* to play the game. Or even understand there is a game to play.

In order to win the game, you have to break the rules?

P
    P
    Originally Posted by celit
    He is in counseling for underachievement due to his visual-spatial learning style (which is the opposite of the linear-sequential style in most classrooms). And a learning style is not an LD, but we are not giving up.

celit, I don't know your ds or enough background on the situation to really have any advice on what's happened with his teacher. I was curious about this note about counseling though - my 2e kids are both visual-spatial - my EG ds is *extremely* visual spatial in his thinking style. And I do understand that school academics are usually put together with a different type of learner in mind... but I'm curious why you think this has led to underachievement and why he's in counseling because of it? It's never been an issue with achieving in school for my kids (as far as I can tell)... my kids *are* 2e and they LD challenges which the Eides write about occurring in people who are also often visual-spatial, but the challenges for them in school aren't that they are visual-spatial, they are related to their LDs. So just curiousity - feel free to ignore my question if you want to!

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 01/11/13 02:13 PM.
    We are having the conversations about "the teacher is always right". Our daughter is 15 and a sophomore. She really hates teachers with pet peeves (silly) and we are trying to get her ready for college.

This does not mean that she has to put up with abuse, but she has to follow the rules. We have been arguing about this, but my husband and I are standing our ground.

Originally Posted by Ellipses
    This does not mean that she has to put up with abuse but she has to follow the rules. We have been arguing about this, but my husband and I are standing our ground.

These days, you just go to the professor and explain to him or her that your special snowflake deserves an A and that professor is being abusive and hurting her feelings by making her follow the rules.

Yes, that is particularly effective in laboratory courses where safety/disposal protocols are at issue. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by celit
    He is in counseling for underachievement due to his visual-spatial learning style (which is the opposite of the linear-sequential style in most classrooms). And a learning style is not an LD, but we are not giving up.

celit, I don't know your ds or enough background on the situation to really have any advice on what's happened with his teacher. I was curious about this note about counseling though - my 2e kids are both visual-spatial - my EG ds is *extremely* visual spatial in his thinking style. And I do understand that school academics are usually put together with a different type of learner in mind... but I'm curious why you think this has led to underachievement and why he's in counseling because of it? It's never been an issue with achieving in school for my kids (as far as I can tell)... my kids *are* 2e and they LD challenges which the Eides write about occurring in people who are also often visual-spatial, but the challenges for them in school aren't that they are visual-spatial, they are related to their LDs. So just curiousity - feel free to ignore my question if you want to!

Best wishes,

polarbear

As an addendum, both my DD and I are obviously V-S learners, but neither of us ever had any difficulty with underachieving in school. Quite the opposite.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma

Yes, that is particularly effective in laboratory courses where safety/disposal protocols are at issue. wink

Special Snowflakes don't need to take laboratory courses.

Originally Posted by Dude
    As an addendum, both my DD and I are obviously V-S learners, but neither of us ever had any difficulty with underachieving in school. Quite the opposite.

I have no idea what kind of learner I am.

It's not something I ever had to think about.

Originally Posted by SiaSL
    I once read an article by a mother who went the length of volunteering at her kids school wearing the local mom uniform (jeans) and changed in her car before moving on to meetings in her high powered executive job (and the confusion when she didn't have time to change one day -- initially nobody at school recognized her). I thought it was a bit extreme, but then jeans and t-shirts are the uniforms of my profession (and I am definitely not the most fashionable dresser at school).

Analyzing those different environment, being *able* to adapt to them, being aware of the costs and benefits of not doing so, and prepared to deal with the consequences is an important lesson to learn.

And, quite honestly, one I haven't quite mastered. But I have real life experience of the drawbacks of not being *able* to play the game. Or even understand there is a game to play.

See, I would say that the mom in that story has quite a problem, because she's going to extraordinary lengths to protect other people's feelings, at her own expense.

She's trying to control what is ultimately beyond our control, which is other people's feelings. You never know what's going to upset someone. But I suspect people are more likely to be upset if they see her changing in the car than if she showed up at a PTA meeting looking like the professional she is.

It's really not a game that's very healthy to play, IMO. The best way to win is not to play.

B
    B
    I like your above post Dude. Though the woman changing in the car describes me, I've realized over time that it's not the extreme that I have to or possibly should be going to - and I'm always working on that. Not great for parenting EG/HG and likely 2E girl either, probably why I annoy her so much of the time (she gets mad when I'm not authentic).

I do believe in adjusting somewhat though "when in Rome" etc. to blend or be understood. But also the other people have to meet people not like themselves part way. That's how it should work,anyway.

Last edited by bzylzy; 01/11/13 03:54 PM.
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM