Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 435 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    I've been a team manager for the past two years, and think the program is wonderful for kids. I coached 1st and 2nd graders; K-2 are in the noncompetitive division. We met weekly as did another parent who coached a K team. You'll want to get a minimum of 10 meetings in before the tournament, so check your region's tournament schedule to figure out when you need to start by. I'll be truthful though - it is a lot of work! And DI started requiring there to be two team managers per team; I'm guessing that is for liability concerns. It makes the job as team manager easier, but requires another adult to make the commitment as well. I had no problem finding parents who wanted their child on my team -- but getting them to help out was a different matter.

My DD is in 3rd grade, and would be starting the competitive problem solving division this year. I'm not sure that I'm up to the commitment (time, space considerations) this year since a lot of teams start meeting now and our tournament isn't until March. Six months of weekly meetings is a lot!

I've held meetings at school one year, at my house the next year, and there are pros/cons either way. If your child is on someone else's team, please consider offering to help because it truly is a lot to take on as team manager.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Aqx3
    And DI started requiring there to be two team managers per team; I'm guessing that is for liability concerns.

Is that new this year? I haven't seen this year's rules...

DeeDee

A
    A
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by Aqx3
    And DI started requiring there to be two team managers per team; I'm guessing that is for liability concerns.

Is that new this year? I haven't seen this year's rules...

DeeDee

That was true for me last year. I'm not certain if that is our state DI affiliate rule or the national DI rule though.

H
    H
    I was a team manager for my son's team in K and 1st. We met weekly and starting meeting in November for the tournament in the spring. We actually met twice a week the month or so before the tournament. Though it was not competitive at those grades it was still quite a bit of work. I also had another parent to help me which was great. We met each week to come up with our goals for the team meeting and plan any activities. In addition to the children working on their play (the tournament challenge) making props, scenery, coming up with dialogue,etc., we also worked on instant challenges which is another area the teams must do at the tournament.

It is really a wonderful program but it is a big time committment. I am not managing this year because with work it got to be a bit much and no other parent has stepped forward so we will unfortuantely not have a team this year. We may try again next year. The kids did love it and I think learned alot.

The school also did not let us practice at the schoool so we practiced at my home or the home of the other team manager and that also got to be a bit challenging with siblings, etc.

It really is a well run program though so if you do decide to manage a team there is great information out there to help plan activities and get ideas.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs