Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #128465 04/29/12 03:08 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    My school is encouraging participation in Destination ImagiNation , http://www.idodi.org/ . Has anyone participated in this?

"Destination ImagiNation, Inc. is an extraordinary non-profit organization that provides educational programs for students to learn and experience creativity, teamwork and problem solving. Every year, we reach 125,000 students across the U.S. and in more than 30 countries. Destination ImagiNation, our core program, is an educational program in which student teams solve open-ended Challenges and present their solutions at Tournaments. Teams are tested to think on their feet, work together and devise original solutions that satisfy the requirements of the Challenges. Participants gain more than just basic knowledge and skills—they learn to unleash their imaginations and take unique approaches to problem solving."

J
    J
    Our friend's daughter did it and had a great time. I think it really encourages problem-solving and writing skills. They have some problem that they prepare for and then compete against other teams.

I
    I
    My older D did it for a couple of years around 4th & 5th grade. It was a great experience for her, although it was kind of parent-intensive. The program died off at our school because not enough parents could make the commitment to supervise a team through the process.

D
    D
    Yes. The projects are complex and interesting, with lots of room for innovative thinking, and the teamwork training has been great for my DS. If the team is well managed it's a very productive experience.

DeeDee

My DS8 participated this year, and it was a great experience. In addition to learning how to work well on a team, my DS got the opportunity to meet new friends in different grades. The program forbids any coach/parental involvement in the projects except giving a little guidance, so it's great to really watch the kids become creative and work things out on their own.

N
    N
    We've done it for three years now, and it's a lot of fun. It's amazing what the kids can come up with! I look at the challenges each year and think, "I would have no idea how to do this," and they come up with something fantastic for it.

DS9's team went to state the last two years, but not this year.

H
    H
    I have coached my son's team for the past two years ( K and 1st grade) and it is really fun. It is non competative for grades k-2 and all teams nationwide must complete the same project. In K the project was called Big Bugs Bad Day and the children and to create a play explaining why Big Bug was having a bad day, come up with the characters, set, etc. This year the task was to create the last toy ever made and put on a play about it. The children enjoyed both projects and came up with really creative and fun ideas.

In third grade it becomes competative and the team gets to pick which project they want to do out of several categories. They are also able to compete at state and national levels if they win at the local level.

I think it is a great experience for children that allows for creativity, problem solving and how to work successfully as a team.

I highly recommend it!

I'm thinking about being the team parent for a Kindergarten team this year. Anyone know if teams usually meet weekly, monthly...?

Originally Posted by W'sMama
    I'm thinking about being the team parent for a Kindergarten team this year. Anyone know if teams usually meet weekly, monthly...?

I'm not sure about kindergarten teams, since they're a little different in that they don't compete, but the team my DS was on in third grade met weekly.

T
    T
    DI is a great organization to be involved in! Globals is a blast! The entire process is a great learning experience for the kids, and with separate core "tests"(per say as I am brain dead right now and can't for the life of me come up with the right word) you can find the perfect fit for your team!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM