Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Bostonian Destination ImagiNation - 04/29/12 10:08 PM
My school is encouraging participation in Destination ImagiNation , http://www.idodi.org/ . Has anyone participated in this?

"Destination ImagiNation, Inc. is an extraordinary non-profit organization that provides educational programs for students to learn and experience creativity, teamwork and problem solving. Every year, we reach 125,000 students across the U.S. and in more than 30 countries. Destination ImagiNation, our core program, is an educational program in which student teams solve open-ended Challenges and present their solutions at Tournaments. Teams are tested to think on their feet, work together and devise original solutions that satisfy the requirements of the Challenges. Participants gain more than just basic knowledge and skills—they learn to unleash their imaginations and take unique approaches to problem solving."

Posted By: jack'smom Re: Destination ImagiNation - 04/29/12 10:26 PM
Our friend's daughter did it and had a great time. I think it really encourages problem-solving and writing skills. They have some problem that they prepare for and then compete against other teams.
Posted By: intparent Re: Destination ImagiNation - 04/29/12 10:52 PM
My older D did it for a couple of years around 4th & 5th grade. It was a great experience for her, although it was kind of parent-intensive. The program died off at our school because not enough parents could make the commitment to supervise a team through the process.
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Destination ImagiNation - 04/29/12 11:44 PM
Yes. The projects are complex and interesting, with lots of room for innovative thinking, and the teamwork training has been great for my DS. If the team is well managed it's a very productive experience.

DeeDee
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Destination ImagiNation - 04/30/12 12:42 AM
My DS8 participated this year, and it was a great experience. In addition to learning how to work well on a team, my DS got the opportunity to meet new friends in different grades. The program forbids any coach/parental involvement in the projects except giving a little guidance, so it's great to really watch the kids become creative and work things out on their own.
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Destination ImagiNation - 05/05/12 04:17 AM
We've done it for three years now, and it's a lot of fun. It's amazing what the kids can come up with! I look at the challenges each year and think, "I would have no idea how to do this," and they come up with something fantastic for it.

DS9's team went to state the last two years, but not this year.
Posted By: HayJo Re: Destination ImagiNation - 05/05/12 02:52 PM
I have coached my son's team for the past two years ( K and 1st grade) and it is really fun. It is non competative for grades k-2 and all teams nationwide must complete the same project. In K the project was called Big Bugs Bad Day and the children and to create a play explaining why Big Bug was having a bad day, come up with the characters, set, etc. This year the task was to create the last toy ever made and put on a play about it. The children enjoyed both projects and came up with really creative and fun ideas.

In third grade it becomes competative and the team gets to pick which project they want to do out of several categories. They are also able to compete at state and national levels if they win at the local level.

I think it is a great experience for children that allows for creativity, problem solving and how to work successfully as a team.

I highly recommend it!
Posted By: W'sMama Re: Destination ImagiNation - 09/14/12 09:21 PM
I'm thinking about being the team parent for a Kindergarten team this year. Anyone know if teams usually meet weekly, monthly...?
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Destination ImagiNation - 09/14/12 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by W'sMama
I'm thinking about being the team parent for a Kindergarten team this year. Anyone know if teams usually meet weekly, monthly...?

I'm not sure about kindergarten teams, since they're a little different in that they don't compete, but the team my DS was on in third grade met weekly.
Posted By: Taylor Z Re: Destination ImagiNation - 09/15/12 01:37 AM
DI is a great organization to be involved in! Globals is a blast! The entire process is a great learning experience for the kids, and with separate core "tests"(per say as I am brain dead right now and can't for the life of me come up with the right word) you can find the perfect fit for your team!
Posted By: Aqx3 Re: Destination ImagiNation - 09/15/12 04:14 PM
I've been a team manager for the past two years, and think the program is wonderful for kids. I coached 1st and 2nd graders; K-2 are in the noncompetitive division. We met weekly as did another parent who coached a K team. You'll want to get a minimum of 10 meetings in before the tournament, so check your region's tournament schedule to figure out when you need to start by. I'll be truthful though - it is a lot of work! And DI started requiring there to be two team managers per team; I'm guessing that is for liability concerns. It makes the job as team manager easier, but requires another adult to make the commitment as well. I had no problem finding parents who wanted their child on my team -- but getting them to help out was a different matter.

My DD is in 3rd grade, and would be starting the competitive problem solving division this year. I'm not sure that I'm up to the commitment (time, space considerations) this year since a lot of teams start meeting now and our tournament isn't until March. Six months of weekly meetings is a lot!

I've held meetings at school one year, at my house the next year, and there are pros/cons either way. If your child is on someone else's team, please consider offering to help because it truly is a lot to take on as team manager.

Posted By: DeeDee Re: Destination ImagiNation - 09/15/12 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Aqx3
And DI started requiring there to be two team managers per team; I'm guessing that is for liability concerns.

Is that new this year? I haven't seen this year's rules...

DeeDee
Posted By: Aqx3 Re: Destination ImagiNation - 09/15/12 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Originally Posted by Aqx3
And DI started requiring there to be two team managers per team; I'm guessing that is for liability concerns.

Is that new this year? I haven't seen this year's rules...

DeeDee

That was true for me last year. I'm not certain if that is our state DI affiliate rule or the national DI rule though.
Posted By: HayJo Re: Destination ImagiNation - 09/15/12 05:24 PM
I was a team manager for my son's team in K and 1st. We met weekly and starting meeting in November for the tournament in the spring. We actually met twice a week the month or so before the tournament. Though it was not competitive at those grades it was still quite a bit of work. I also had another parent to help me which was great. We met each week to come up with our goals for the team meeting and plan any activities. In addition to the children working on their play (the tournament challenge) making props, scenery, coming up with dialogue,etc., we also worked on instant challenges which is another area the teams must do at the tournament.

It is really a wonderful program but it is a big time committment. I am not managing this year because with work it got to be a bit much and no other parent has stepped forward so we will unfortuantely not have a team this year. We may try again next year. The kids did love it and I think learned alot.

The school also did not let us practice at the schoool so we practiced at my home or the home of the other team manager and that also got to be a bit challenging with siblings, etc.

It really is a well run program though so if you do decide to manage a team there is great information out there to help plan activities and get ideas.

Good luck!

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum