Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
I think that PTP is right-- she's getting what she needs out of the project and then it loses its importance to her.

An emphasis on "meeting your commitments" is only appropriate beginning in adolescence.

A lot of people who bite off more than they can chew and then have a million things half-finished (or just started) are serving an innovative impulse, too.

I'm one of those people. I am often driven to figure out HOW to do ________ (project). But once I've done that, there's little point (for me personally) in following through unless the product is something that I truly have a need for.

It's the impulse to problem-solve or create that I derive my gratification from. The process, not the product.

As for the library book problem, it may help for her to have a single location where she keeps books... or maybe a set number that she thinks she can read at one time. Have you asked if it bothers her when she doesn't finish the books?

Yes, this sounds EXACTLY like me. The things I have stuck with the most are things I am really interested in and get involved with a group. I knit and I love it but, I am not sure I would knit anymore if I hadn't started a knitting group. My husband is always asking me what my next 'thing' is going to be.

I also wanted to add the field guide sounds like it served a great purpose. She learned not to start the way she did next time. I would be a little frustrated and put it on the back burner for a while and come back to it later if it were me.

Last edited by BigBadWool; 03/10/11 07:02 PM.