Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
DD is 7, MG, and does very well with schoolwork/grades. IOW, she is not spacey in her school environment. However, at home, she is forever starting big projects and not finishing them. So far this month she has started creating/writing a field guide to birds, a play/musical, and a card-based guessing game about birds. All seem to be abandoned except maybe the card game. She has started writing probably 20+ books, none of which have been finished. She also is usually reading about 10 library books at a time, but finishes maybe 1 out of 5 before they are due back.

I'm not worried about this per se, but I do wonder if we should encourage her more or just let it go without comment. As I say, she doesn't have trouble finishing schoolwork or homework. I can't tell if she abandons due to lack of interest or frustration/perfectionism...seems to be a bit of both. She is also scattered/disorganized with personal belongings, though not to an extreme. The library book thing may partly be because she is overwhelmed by the towering stacks of books on her bedside table and physically loses track. I have considered limiting the # of books she checks out, but that just seems wrong.

This is common for creative GT kids, yes?

ETA that this post makes her sound a little ADDish, but I really don't think she is--not a concern for me.
Yes, this is very common. We saw the exact same thing at that age. I remember feeling concerned about this but ultimately I shifted my thinking. It wasn't that nothing was getting finished, but that the child got what he needed from the project and was ready to move on. The purpose for him wasn't the end product, but the process of discovery. Also, realistically, a team of adults probably couldn't complete the amount of work these kids are starting on.

One thing about motivated self directed learners is they can be good at putting themselves into that zone of optimal engagement and acquisition of new material or skills. It sounds like that's exactly what she's doing. She's putting herself in the place where she gets the most of out if and she has a sense when she's beyond that it is okay to let stuff go. That's very healthy I think.

And, if it makes you feel better my overly ambitious seven year old has turned into a teenager who gets stuff done. He continues to be good at evaluating if a project, book, or activity is worth his time and he is willing to let stuff go that isn't. Again, that's a healthy and good thing.
I think that PTP is right-- she's getting what she needs out of the project and then it loses its importance to her.

An emphasis on "meeting your commitments" is only appropriate beginning in adolescence.

A lot of people who bite off more than they can chew and then have a million things half-finished (or just started) are serving an innovative impulse, too.

I'm one of those people. I am often driven to figure out HOW to do ________ (project). But once I've done that, there's little point (for me personally) in following through unless the product is something that I truly have a need for.

It's the impulse to problem-solve or create that I derive my gratification from. The process, not the product.

As for the library book problem, it may help for her to have a single location where she keeps books... or maybe a set number that she thinks she can read at one time. Have you asked if it bothers her when she doesn't finish the books?
I think your other advice is great, but I do have a word of warning. I used to be like your DD when I was a child (and as an adult, to a lesser extent). The reason I did not finish projects was because in school, things were easy. But if I did something on my own, I was not used to having to put in the effort and hard work it took to finish a project. And my work never seemed perfect enough for me. I had countless sewing projects, cross stitch pictures and stories gathering dust in my closet. This is an area that I have struggled with even as an adult.

Perhaps you can work with your DD on a smaller project to get her used to following through with something. There's a lot to be said about the satisfaction of looking back at the hard work you've done and seeing a completed product.

Like your DD, I always had my school work done. But I could have used the practice of having to actually work hard or work long on something to get it finished.
She is definitely a motivated/self-directed learner. I think my hesitation here stems from the fact that her father is a bit of a brilliant perfectionist not-finisher. It doesn't bother me when she just seems to organically lose interest, but sometimes she hits a frustrating spot (with the play, she got bogged down in a song that she wasn't happy with) and that's what seems to trigger it...though I don't think that's it with the books. I don't quite know what it is with the books, TBH. No, it doesn't bother her when we have to return them--well, rarely, but not at all often.

I mean, I don't actually expect my 7yo to finish a complete Field Guide to the Birds of the US (that one, she got annoyed because she made the index ahead of time and then the page numbers got messed up...)~! I just would hope to see her get the pride of completion sometimes, I guess--completion to whatever level works for her. Of course, sometimes maybe the projects ARE complete to that level, from her POV.

I am a project-finisher by nature, so it's useful to me to hear from other people who may operate more like DD.
The joke around here is that I technically only need ONE ball of yarn (I'm a knitter), because I could just rip out a half-finished project and start on a new one using the same ball of yarn over and over. This way my knitting wouldn't take up an entire closet.

My neatnik DH who hates clutter is especially fond of this innovative notion, for whatever it's worth. grin

I do finish most of my projects. But sometimes I will drop one for months or even years before picking it up again and working on it. I just seem to lose the driving force behind the motivation, and the project no longer fuels anything for me personally. It isn't that I can't stay focused on it. I just choose to move on to something else because it is no longer challenging or novel enough to be interesting. I suppose that I feel that my hobbies and interests shouldn't feel like drudgery.
Originally Posted by ultramarina
I am a project-finisher by nature, so it's useful to me to hear from other people who may operate more like DD.

My library habits are very similar to your daughter's. I like to read a little bit of a lot of stuff. I figure life is too short to waste finishing a book I feel done with. I always have lots of different books going at once because different books meet different needs - focused attention, fluff, fiction, nonfiction, etc. As long as you have a set place to keep books so stuff gets returned I think it is fine.

And, yes, my craft closet would probably also make you uneasy. In this area of my life I'm more about process than product. I like trying new stuff, learning new skills, enjoying the process. It works for me. I haven't had a problem being more focused in other areas.

If it is bothering your daughter that she isn't finishing then that's another matter. If she's simply feeling done and moving on, I wouldn't worry about it.
We meet new people, get to know them a little and often we choose not to spend the rest of our lives trying to know them better. A commercial for a new movie shows us parts of the movie and we often choose not to see the whole movie. We clean one room of a house and stop knowing another part of the house is in need of cleaning.

The ability to make the right choices of what we should and should not finish is what is important. I am a person who has a problem with starting to clean one area of a house, if I know I cannot finish the entire house. Worked well until I was a parent, was very difficult to get started once I realized I could never finish. I'm getting better at making the right choices, but it takes a lot of work.

It may seem unusual for someone to start a book and not finish it. Is it any different than all those less obvious things we start and not finish every day. All most of us can hope for is the majority of things we choose to finish are for the most part the better choices in the long run.
Originally Posted by HoosierMommy
I think your other advice is great, but I do have a word of warning. I used to be like your DD when I was a child (and as an adult, to a lesser extent). The reason I did not finish projects was because in school, things were easy. But if I did something on my own, I was not used to having to put in the effort and hard work it took to finish a project. And my work never seemed perfect enough for me. I had countless sewing projects, cross stitch pictures and stories gathering dust in my closet. This is an area that I have struggled with even as an adult.

Perhaps you can work with your DD on a smaller project to get her used to following through with something. There's a lot to be said about the satisfaction of looking back at the hard work you've done and seeing a completed product.

Like your DD, I always had my school work done. But I could have used the practice of having to actually work hard or work long on something to get it finished.

Exactly--this was me! (not to say for sure this is what is going on with the OP, but worth considering).
Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
If it is bothering your daughter that she isn't finishing then that's another matter. If she's simply feeling done and moving on, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think this is the key. I agree that there is pride in completing a project, and for me, I could have used some hothousing on how to finish what I started. (and probably some guidance on dealing with perfectionism.)
I can't quite tell if it bothers her. She does seem bothered while encountering frustration that causes her to give up (such as the song problem in her play, or the index problem in her guide). However, not all projects are abandoned due to frustration, and if they are, it passes quickly and she doesn't seem to think about it again.

I do abandon books myself, btw. However, it would be unusual for me to have 20 books out from the library and to start and abandon 17, finish two, and read one three times (this is kind of what she does). smile
Starting things is more fun than finishing them whistle
I used to be like your DD when I was a child (and as an adult, to a lesser extent). The reason I did not finish projects was because in school, things were easy. But if I did something on my own, I was not used to having to put in the effort and hard work it took to finish a project. And my work never seemed perfect enough for me. I had countless sewing projects, cross stitch pictures and stories gathering dust in my closet. This is an area that I have struggled with even as an adult.

Me, definitely me! I'm still that way. It comes from being a "big picture" thinker but not so hot on the actual details of how something gets done, and the work never fulfilling the dream of the finished project to the perfectionist's satisfaction, and yes, the fact that starting things is fun but finishing them is work that one might not be accustomed to.

Good luck -- if you find a solution, let me know! smile
I do abandon books myself, btw. However, it would be unusual for me to have 20 books out from the library and to start and abandon 17, finish two, and read one three times (this is kind of what she does). smile

Do you have my child?? I was tidying up her book shelf this weekend and counted 15 books with bookmarks inside (this means she is actively reading them). She has been reading at least 10 of those books since summer. When I suggested that she finish a few of those before adding more to the collection she gave me 'the look'. What was she reading last night? The newest Diary of a Whimpy Kid book for the fourth time!
Ironically, I'm motivated by an almost diammetrically opposed set of inner motivations. Oh, sometimes it is about the details escaping me when I start a project...

but sometimes it is because once I have the entire thing (planning, troubleshooting, etc) done in my mind, there's just no point in the physical/corporeal task of making it all a reality.

It's a very Zen approach to things. I can imagine the finished product, and therefore I don't need to bring another afghan into the world, since it exists in my mind's eye. Of course, this doesn't explain why I have the materials for the project. blush
This is so interesting how there can be such different explanations for the same behaviour! For the sake of OP's dd I hope she is like HowlerKarma. Again, I think it all depends how she feels about the uncompleted project--but if she just doesn't know how to complete it, coaching could be a good thing.
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
I think that PTP is right-- she's getting what she needs out of the project and then it loses its importance to her.

An emphasis on "meeting your commitments" is only appropriate beginning in adolescence.

A lot of people who bite off more than they can chew and then have a million things half-finished (or just started) are serving an innovative impulse, too.

I'm one of those people. I am often driven to figure out HOW to do ________ (project). But once I've done that, there's little point (for me personally) in following through unless the product is something that I truly have a need for.

It's the impulse to problem-solve or create that I derive my gratification from. The process, not the product.

As for the library book problem, it may help for her to have a single location where she keeps books... or maybe a set number that she thinks she can read at one time. Have you asked if it bothers her when she doesn't finish the books?

Yes, this sounds EXACTLY like me. The things I have stuck with the most are things I am really interested in and get involved with a group. I knit and I love it but, I am not sure I would knit anymore if I hadn't started a knitting group. My husband is always asking me what my next 'thing' is going to be.

I also wanted to add the field guide sounds like it served a great purpose. She learned not to start the way she did next time. I would be a little frustrated and put it on the back burner for a while and come back to it later if it were me.
Just wanted to follow up on this and say that she actually finished writing her musical. Now she wants to hold auditions and start rehearsals. She has already begun constructing the scenery.

Um...help.
Just wanted to follow up on this and say that she actually finished writing her musical. Now she wants to hold auditions and start rehearsals. She has already begun constructing the scenery.

Um...help.

lol
That's awesome!
Careful what you wish for....

Hee hee!
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Ironically, I'm motivated by an almost diammetrically opposed set of inner motivations. Oh, sometimes it is about the details escaping me when I start a project...

but sometimes it is because once I have the entire thing (planning, troubleshooting, etc) done in my mind, there's just no point in the physical/corporeal task of making it all a reality.

It's a very Zen approach to things. I can imagine the finished product, and therefore I don't need to bring another afghan into the world, since it exists in my mind's eye. Of course, this doesn't explain why I have the materials for the project. blush

This is me and my DS9 to a "T". He told me the other day...homework and tests are pointless. I know I know and that is enough. Now if only we can convince the world that!
My DD7 is exactly like this and her ambitious projects evaporate, like her Christmas boutique store two years ago called "Bells Rock" for which she distributed "coming soon" flyers around the neighborhood. Bouts of mild panic struck her as the day approached and she lacked inventory, but the day came and went with no tears or major regrets.

So what is the proper time to unleash my inner Tiger Father and force/aid her into finishing such projects after the bubbles of inspiration have been popped by the prickly details, leaving only the prospect of hard work?

As some of the other posters mentioned, I too could have used strong arms to help me conquer and tame my perfectionism and do the necessary hard work. Instead I was told how talented I was and how much potential I had, and given free reign to plan and dream away with the assumption that one day when I was "ready" I would magically awake from the spell, lift myself up by my bootstraps, and accomplish everything of which I was capable. That Hollywood ending, naturally, did not happen.
Originally Posted by Pru
So what is the proper time to unleash my inner Tiger Father and force/aid her into finishing such projects after the bubbles of inspiration have been popped by the prickly details, leaving only the prospect of hard work?

As some of the other posters mentioned, I too could have used strong arms to help me conquer and tame my perfectionism and do the necessary hard work.

I think that there is a middle path - you provide your dd with some of the tools so she knows that she can work hard.
I'm not sure why- but I prefer a child to get used to working hard on school or adult supervised afterschool activities, rather than self-generated projects.

For the self-generated ones, I'd get out that old 'Wishcraft' Book and help the child follow the steps - with self-generated projects there are usually very real reasons why the project won't work. Maybe I'd 'nag/bribe/re-inforce' doing one simple step per day - but maybe not! I think the proper mindset is to expect that projects have an 'exploration' phase where one does some R&D, and then decides to allocate time and money to the project in the 'commitment' phase.

Make sense?
Grinity
Originally Posted by Grinity
I think that there is a middle path - you provide your dd with some of the tools so she knows that she can work hard. I'm not sure why- but I prefer a child to get used to working hard on school or adult supervised afterschool activities, rather than self-generated projects.
That makes good sense. When challenged by boring or hard work, she still sometimes throws those fits where she checks out, slides out of her chair and ends up finishing the homework on her back under the table, etc. That's where we should be focusing to help her get a grip and hold on.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum