She is definitely a motivated/self-directed learner. I think my hesitation here stems from the fact that her father is a bit of a brilliant perfectionist not-finisher. It doesn't bother me when she just seems to organically lose interest, but sometimes she hits a frustrating spot (with the play, she got bogged down in a song that she wasn't happy with) and that's what seems to trigger it...though I don't think that's it with the books. I don't quite know what it is with the books, TBH. No, it doesn't bother her when we have to return them--well, rarely, but not at all often.

I mean, I don't actually expect my 7yo to finish a complete Field Guide to the Birds of the US (that one, she got annoyed because she made the index ahead of time and then the page numbers got messed up...)~! I just would hope to see her get the pride of completion sometimes, I guess--completion to whatever level works for her. Of course, sometimes maybe the projects ARE complete to that level, from her POV.

I am a project-finisher by nature, so it's useful to me to hear from other people who may operate more like DD.