Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
There are days when I feel that about half of my brain has rotted away...

life is very dull and frustrating when you can't ever face novel challenges in your areas of strength/passion. I was never meant to be a SAHM. Never-- it relies on my weakest skills and leaves my strengths entirely untapped. It's awful.

Wow--you just have a way of putting things so succinctly that I feel but can't quite articulate so clearly (because half my brain has rotted away!)

On the other subject--I clearly remember saying to my mom after one particularly agonizing high school bio class where I wanted to bang my head on the desk that I could deal with practically any kind of disability in my future hypothetical child but that I couldn't deal with it if they weren't smart. Well--my 7 yr. old has Down syndrome and honestly--the good parts are just as good, and the challenging parts aren't more challenging than the other 2--just different. I think this brain rotting, suffocating, constantly being measured on all of the things that I suck at...that would all still be the same, no matter the interests or abilities of the kid.

And I don't think it is horrible to admit at all--just honest.