Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by deacongirl
This mutability is further evidence that the I.Q. difference has environmental, not genetic, causes.

You're implying that genetics plays no role in IQ. If this is true, why do so many HG+ kids here have at least one HG+ parent and/or other HG+ family member?

deacongirl's quoted statement, with a bit more context, was:

Originally Posted by deacongirl
Most important, we know that interventions at every age from infancy to college can reduce racial gaps in both I.Q. and academic achievement, sometimes by substantial amounts in surprisingly little time. This mutability is further evidence that the I.Q. difference has environmental, not genetic, causes.

At least at that point, by adopting that statement, she wasn't trying to say that genetics plays no role in IQ, but that any racial difference in IQ in her opinion has no genetic causes.

I guess an adoption study, dealing with IQ traits of minority and/or lower-class kids raised by non-minority and/or upper-class parents, would seem to control for a lot of racially- or class-aligned environmental differences. Of course, originally socially disadvantaged adoptees might have been environmentally challenged in the womb, and not by genetics. It's an interesting debate.

- Your referee-friend, who will have to read "The Bell Curve" for himself one of these months.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick