Originally Posted by Grinity
There exists the idea that working class jobs and gifted don't go together.
The reality is just the opposite. Considering the vast differences in population, my guess is that there are many more gifted kids in working class neighborhoods than in the few 'very best' neighborhoods. I'd love to see some numbers, but I won't attempt it myself.

There also exists the Idea, that the US has a 'pure meritocracy' so that gifted people will rise economically on a consistent basis. I haven't seen this happening in a absolute way at this time, although I think it's a great direction to head in.

Grinity

You're making straw man arguments. I don't know who has asserted that there are no gifted working class children or that the U.S. is a perfect meritocracy. What has been documented in books such as The Bell Curve is that IQ and socioeconomic status is positively correlated, and that IQ somewhat heritable, which explains the empirical finding that a higher fraction of rich kids than poor kids are gifted.

Do you think that same fraction of cab drivers' kids and doctors' kids are gifted?

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell