HowlerKarmer

My apologies! I didn't realized you had bumped this thread and asked a new questions so I was actually responding to the original post for elementary kids.

For your 11 year old I'd definitely try and pursue her interests! There's a pretty big difference between a mom who wants to introduce a foreign language to a young child that might not have a preference and a child pushing for a specific foreign language. Sorry for the confusion and it serves me right for not reading the other comments first!

I definitely agree with what others have said, though, about the difference between modern and classic Greek. I actually had a good friend who was Greek and while she could read and understand both, classic Greek was practically a second language to her.

FWIW, I did the same as your daughter. My stepdad warned me not to take Latin in high school because I wouldn't have any opportunities to speak it and it's no longer used. Well, I took it and even though it was fun for a bit I quickly lost interest due to lack of opportunities to speak it. Ditto when I took Chinese in high school too. I ended up taking German in college and that was great because I could study abroad and picked it up very quickly from there. DH's native language also came relatively quickly for me simply due to motivation and living with a native speaker who is great at explaining how to pronounce words correctly (not so great at explain the grammar, though, so you can just imagine how funny I sound when I speak!).

Anyways, good luck to your daughter. I'd say, follow her interest but also keep some other options open in case she does decide it's not worth her effort and wants a language that is more easily accessible (she might actually have an easier time learning Greek if she focuses now on a language that is easier to learn and that pursues Greek in college where there will be more resources and she'll around know how to learn a foreign language)