PS As hip points out, she'd need to decide which dialect she wants to learn (Homeric, Attic, Koine, or modern); there are more Attic resources out there than probably anything else, so that's a consideration (some of the main still-in-print ones are the one by the Joint Association of Classical Teachers, Mastronarde, Groton, Luschnig, Shelmerdine, Saffire & Freis, and Balme & Lawall's Athenaze--and of course there are dozens and dozens of free nineteenth-century books designed primarily for British schoolboys!).

Koine has also a lot of books available (and some are aimed at younger learners: Elementary Greek, Greek for Children, Hey, Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek!, etc.--I saw a really neat one lately called Polis [ http://poliskoine.com/site/ ]--it's sort of "immersion" Koine--you'd need to know French, too, though, as that is the language of the explanations in the book).

I love Homer, too, so that's where we started, even though there aren't as many choices for learning materials--apart from the Pharr book, there is a book by Frank Beetham, which concentrates on the Odyssey (Book V, I think), and Schoder and Horrigan's two-volume Reading Course in Homeric Greek (which is the one my eldest and I have been working through--it's also centered on the Odyssey). Beetham and S&H are still in print (and therefore not free). Some Attic textbooks (e.g. JACT's Reading Greek course) also have a chapter or two about learning to read Homeric Greek after having learned Attic.

Hope that helps a little!

PPS There are good reviews of most of the in-print books at the Bryn Mawr Classical Review website, so you can get a bit of a feel for what each one is like.