Great Question and one I have been in some discussions recently with other moms in the area. My DD will be in a Spanish Immersion program this summer. I choose Spanish b/c I live in Texas and she will have more opportunities to use the language but I also know I want her to learn more then 1 language so it is a starting point.

When the conversation turns to her taking Spanish Immersion this opens up the gates and I have heard numerous times how they would have their child learn either Spanish or Chinese but not French, French is dead in their eyes. I am in total shock by such comments.

Here is my take on languages: If your child is going in a more academic world then they will need to know French, German and Latin. If they are specializing in a certain niche such as Latin America or Russia then it is apparent that they will need to know Spanish and Russian.

For our economical world: Chinese is key.

For my child: We will teach her Spanish and/or French and then Chinese while she is young and let her decide where she wants to take it.

Sorry I was Sooooo long winded on that answer. Really has been a hot topic of conversation around me here lately.