We had a lot of problems with homeschooling.

All my (then 6yo) DD would do voluntarily was READ. And read, she did-- thousands and thousands of pages a month. But still-- that hardly seemed like a good way to 'educate' a child.

Oh, and she would also be willing to do Singapore Math's "challenging word problems;" five to seven a of those a day.

She refused to do any activities that required tactile sensory input, refused to do large-motor learning activities, and kept "jumping" out of curriculum that I kept (foolishly) trying to fight her to do.

It was maddening... and quite frankly, the rate that she went through curriculum was bankrupting us, public library patronage or not. (I'd find a great deal on curriculum that looked great, she'd work with it for a week or two... or a month... and then WHAM-- she'd refuse to do anything at all.) The upshot was that she was jumping/black-boxing OUT of the material and then refusing to act like a trained poodle and demonstrate it with worksheets and activities.

She hated manipulatives. She hated drawing. She hated writing.

I was frankly at my wit's end with her.

Enter public virtual school-- external accountability and standards. It wasn't a magic bullet, but it was by far a better thing than pure homeschooling had been. A lot of it was the personality issues between her and me; it's a built-in, hard-wired power struggle with her-- but that is about EVERYTHING, not just schooling. We're both very volatile people-- so there are still just days when it feels like the end of the world.

I hope that you find some answers. {hugs} I've shed a lot of tears and pulled out a lot of my own hair over my homeschooled EG/PG kid, too. You aren't alone.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.