My son is similar, but he has executive processing problems associated with autism and NOT adhd. Since he has had these issues from a young age, we have worked on them consistently. For example, brushing teeth required us standing in the bathroom with him going through every step and gradually fading our way out of the bathroom until it became such an unconscious routine that he didn't need to think about it. My son took lots and lots of practice to be able to do "simple" things, but with consistency he can do it. Your son is older so I'm not sure where to recommend starting but we used OT and ABA therapy beginning when he was 2 1/2 years old! I think an older kid might be embarrassed by Mom standing telling him how to brush his teeth. Sometimes what we do now is say "First this, then that" meaning he is not allowed to read until he shows me he brushed his teeth or whatever. And yes...when he DOES do something menial correctly PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE!!!! Wow, you brushed your teeth RIGHT when I asked!!! Holy moly, that's great! I love it! Nan

I printed out the links Mich provided and they are great. When I researched EF years ago, the info I found was not so good. Thanks for providing those, Mich. I'm going to use them with DS's teachers.

Last edited by NanRos; 01/05/11 09:36 AM.