Originally Posted by seablue
Originally Posted by DeeDee
you could miss out on a lot of help by waiting.

if you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I feel nervous - like I don't want to know this. It's been convenient to blame DD's wildness and my challenges with parenting her on her intellect.

DeeDee -- I also think this is great advice. The issues being looked at need an evaluation that goes beyond sensory issues. When I had a child diagnosed with SPD several years ago, I couldn't find enough evidence to support the diagnosis or the therapy, which we skipped. Kid turned out fine smile.

Seablue -- I'm sorry that you are facing this uncertainty. It's hard to worry and feel like something is going on but not have answers. I agree with the other posters, however, that knowing is preferable because interventions are possible. Lots of (((hugs))) for the cancer workup -- it must be really scary.

I think sometimes that there is a lot of anecdotal focus on behavior issues in GT forums that leads parents to think difficulty with certain issues comes from being smart. It's never seemed likely to me that behavior challenges and GT were obviously related. For me, having a 3 yo who read really well meant that the kid could self-entertain like a much older kid. There was much *less* demand for my attention and tantrums and being overwhelmed because a book was like a pacifier and guaranteed hours of silence grin. Beisdes, even if behavior challenges were related to GT, you still need to deal with the behavior and work on making that better over time. Making sure other issues aren't contributing seems reasonable.