I have a similar four year old and we had her evaluated by an OT who determined she has sensory seeking issues and we go to OT once a week. My DD4 enjoys these sessions and insurance covers most of it, so there is no harm in getting an OT evaluation. We are actually going forward with a more comprehensive evaluation on Tuesday of this coming week.

She is very intense, highly talkative, must grab and touch everything, impulsive, very emotionally reactive, etc. but also highly social, extroverted, and imaginative so she doesn't clearly fit in any particular profile, so we are trying to figure out it if is overexcitabilities or something else.

I personally so no reason to hesitate. In fact, the earlier OT is started, the more of an impact it can have. I notice a previous poster thought this might be out of the realm of an OT, and that may be the case. My DD4 looks like the furthest thing from the spectrum on the surface, but we are still having her evaluated with an autism expert to help us determine what is sensory, what is giftedness, if there is any possibility of ADHD or anything on the spectrum. She can appear very "normal" and highly social, but there are enough quirks and challenges for us to want to get some input on how best to help her socially.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 12/04/10 06:27 AM.