Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Your problem seems to be lack of any good options

On the plus side, we have a really gifted-friendly principal this year. She went to bat for the younger sibling of one of DD's last-year classmates, and helped her get an (unheard of) K-to-first (also unheard of) midyear acceleration. So if I knew what I wanted, I'd have some chance of getting it. But I confess to not being at all sure what I want!

Have you tried/is it worth having a heart to heart talk with her teacher and others at school and seeing whether they have any ideas?

I feel like it's still too early in the year, unless I want to change something up for this year - and I hate to rock a boat that's mostly-stable, even if it's not ideal. And for next year, DD moves fast enough that I hate to ask now for something that later turns out to have been too little, and feel like everyone had gone to such effort to accommodate that that I oughtn't ask for more, IYKWIM.

Maybe there is scope for small adjustments that would help enough?

I think her current teacher would be willing to make small adjustments. I'm not sure DD would tolerate them. (I suggested that she just turn the sound off on the headphones and daydream or doodle or read, when she's supposed to be listening to the reading passage, and she flatly refused. She's a rule-follower, that one.) Plus, I don't think we'd be able to find an easy small adjustment that would challenge her during class.

it's really important that she have work to do which is hard enough that it really helps her learn.

I think I could sell her on that. Thanks!