Difficult. I don't really see how IQ testing would help, on the face of it. Your problem seems to be lack of any good options, rather than difficulty in choosing between them, and no score is going to create more options. (But of course, if you and DP would feel on firmer ground with test results, that would be a good enough reason. ETA and one thing YSP would do would be to give her access to other people her age with similar educational needs, which might help her past "it's not for me"ism, perhaps.)

Have you tried/is it worth having a heart to heart talk with her teacher and others at school and seeing whether they have any ideas? For example, I have friends who in somewhat similar circs negotiated that their child would not do the standard homework, but instead would do appropriate work set by them to a loose syllabus agreed in advance; I think he also sometimes did this work in class. Later, he had a mentor in his strongest subject and did work set by the mentor both in class and at home. Maybe there is scope for small adjustments that would help enough?

I don't think you need to convince her she's out there - what you have to do is to convince her that you don't want her to be bored and that it's really important that she have work to do which is hard enough that it really helps her learn. IOW, make it about what she needs now to develop, not about an intrinsic property of her. Things labelled by age or equivalent can make it tricky, but you can just keep saying "it's only a guideline, to help busy parents and teachers".

Last edited by ColinsMum; 11/10/10 02:17 PM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail