Argh! First of all, the teachers gave up on the smileys because they were doing it wrong: you can't take away smileys, you can only give them (you CAN not give them in the first place, but you can't take them away).

Here is what my son has for sensory accommodations: a squishy seat pad and squishy foot pedals to help prevent rocking and kicking. A hand fidget to help when quiet listening is required. He used to have headphones. He has a place in his classroom that he is allowed to go to at any time he needs a break. His teachers provide movement breaks for him in between lessons. He gets advanced notice for fire drills and substitute teachers, optional attendance at assemblies, and we hand picked a quiet, low key teacher. He does poorly with inflexible teachers...they butt heads with him and nothing gets accomplished.

It has taken us 5 years to get here. He has had an IEP since he was 3, but teachers have not always followed it. If I were you, I would apply to DYS to have them advocate for you. I think it will be hard to find an advocate comfortable working with an exceptionally gifted kid with Asperger's, but you need someone to help you. We are lucky in that we have been doing this for 5 years, so we have a whole team to call on for help depending on what is needed.

The different therapies we have used that you might find helpful are: ABA or CBT to help teach appropriate behaviors so that they become second nature, OT to help with sensory issues, and speech therapy to help with social skills and social/language pragmatics.

I bet you are right that your son is bored, but teachers do NOT like to hear that! My son also thinks of solutions in a unique manner and gets irritated when people tell him that he has to do something a certain way. My son also gets frustrated when questions are repeated...he has to process the question and it takes longer sometimes to form the answer.

Anyway, I didn't answer you in a very organized manner, sorry! Just wanted you to know you are not alone, and I think you will find lots of help and good advice here. Keep pushing for your son's academic needs to be met, and make them accommodate for everything else...not vice versa!! Nan