Just an update. I contacted the Virginia Office for Protection and Advocacy, they provide referrals, educational advocates and legal help. I'm expecting to hear back this week at some point about what level of service, if any, they can offer me to help with our situation. I also sent a preliminary e-mail to the principal thanking her for setting the meeting up so rapidly, but expressing that I was not pleased with the outcome and was drafting a longer e-mail to the team expressing my concerns. I also let her know I was investigating my options ie, using an advocate. About a week later, I received a return e-mail (after running it by the school system's attorney, I'm sure) offering a 504. I let her know that I felt an IEP was more appropriate considering Piper needs services and not just accomodations.

I also sent off the longer e-mail to the team and the Psych's supervisor (the head of SPED services for the county) detailing my concerns and feelings about the meeting, making sure to point out Piper's functional deficits. I got an e-mail back today asking about whether Mon was a good day for the Gifted eligibility meeting, AND a meeting with the county SPED supervisor and the principal to discuss my "procedural" concerns, as the principal termed it. If I haven't heard from VOPA by Fri, I'm going to call and let them know what's going on now since it's significantly changed since I contacted them. A little apprehensive about both meetings, but we'll see what happens!