My DD was most definitely ambidextrous from an early age but at the same time we noticed she tend to favor her left hand. She is now 4 and can safely be called a lefty but this is with writing and eating. When she cuts, throws and even kicks she favors her right side. About 3.5 years ago I came across an article in a journal that talks about young children, especially babies, and their hand preference. What they discovered is with each major milestone a baby/child would switch their preference for a little while and then finally go back to the other hand. Take sitting up or crawling. Both a big milestones in a child's life and each time they accomplish it something in their brain is linked to it and causes the child to switch hands. I really wish I could provide the journal but I don't have access to all of that now.

I have often wondered why we in the gifted community pick up on the changes more than the average child's parents and I think it might do with the fact that our children are doing such advanced stuff at such an early age. BTW: I monitored my DD after reading that article and it was true. Every major milestone she completed she would switch hand preference. And my DD was writing before she was a year old so it was very noticeable when she made that switch.

As for brain damage ... I have actually heard that before but can't place why or what they are referring to. I'm going to have to research that one. But as cricket pointed out, your child is still kind of young to classify as left, right or ambidextrous. It is usually around age 4.