Skylersmommy, that's a great story. My DS4 also likes making up stories and creating books. I got blank books for him originally at a local toy store, but wound up going with stapled folded paper afterwards to save money. It's a great activity.

I think my son's first one was called "Scary Snail" or something similar-- it began with a little boy getting eaten by a monster, then there was a picture of him in the monster's tummy next to a skeleton :D, then he busted out of there and roamed the landscape before sitting next to a rock to rest. Then the rock turned around and it was a SCARY SNAIL that tried to eat him! He escaped into a tepee, where he found his mommy and daddy and sat down to eat. (At that stage he wasn't handwriting very much at all, and asked me to write the words for him. I just think kids' stories are wonderful and couldn't resist sharing.)

OP, my son began reading in his late 2s, and about then made his first attempts to write as well. He would come to me and ask me to write something, then copy it on his little erasable drawing toy. He worked pretty hard to be able to write his name at first, then there was a long hiatus until he became interested in doing more. This past year he has been at a preschool where they have very specific notions about the right strokes to use, but they don't have the four-year-olds do much writing, so he has been pretty sloppy in his attempts this year. I figure that that is something he'll learn in school anyway, so I don't correct him most of the time, unless he notices he's doing something wrong and asks.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick