Originally Posted by gargi
My DD is 2years and 8 months and can read sentences now. She was ready to read five months ago I intentionally delayed it. But can't do that anymore she opens a book and starts sounding them. So I had to get her bob books. She can read them very easily. She thinks reading is play.

I am excited that my daughter can read and understand addition and subtraction etc etc etc... I am worried at the same time. I don't want her to skip grade when she is in school and be with older kids. Socializing skills and intelligence are two different things I think.

What do you think? This question bothers me a lot.

You are in a great position knowning this so early. I didn't really know our situation until 2nd grade.

My suggestion is read everthing you can on the Davidson website and their book "Genius denied". Start looking into schools. I was very unfamiliar with gifted and thought this school has a gifted program we are set. You would benefit from looking at private, charter, gifted, homeschooling, public and montessorri. It's much better to learn what is available ahead of the need.

A few things I learned:

My PG child learns with 1 to 2 repetions, while average student learns at 7 to 9. This can make it very boring for a eager learner.

If they don't pretest your child may be taught daily what they already know, even in a gifted program.

Most teachers don't understand gifted needs and teach to the average child.

If you need help with anything just ask here. There is lots of experience. Enjoy this time with your little one and try not to worry. YOu will find a way.