Hello everyone!
I'm a bit new here so I'll just keep this short.

Well, my only son just turned fourteen and he's having real trouble. Till last year, he was in a special school for gifted children. He's now started high school, for which we had to shift him to a mainstream school. Now this school doesn't really have the best crowd, apparently. Three kids beat him up badly within his second month there. Me and my husband complained to the school board, following which these children were suspended. We did not press charges, though.

The incident has left him shaken. He has always been introverted but now he refuses to even talk about school! He prefers to sit in his room all day and locks the door so I can't see what's going on. When I ask him about it, he either doesn't answer or just says "school stuff". I'm at my wit's end about what I can do. I've tried talking to his teachers but they just say that he's an excellent student in class and they've noticed no bullying.
I suspect that there IS a lot of psychological bullying going on and the teachers don't know about it.

But unless he talks to me, how can I help him? How can I find out?

I feel like a failure as a parent! Help!