Originally Posted by Wren
Every time I hear about girls doing OK socially after a skip, it seems they are tall for their age and or, their birthdays were not so much past the cut-off. DD is already a head shorter than her peer classmates.

My DD9 was early-entranced into K with an early September birthday, so she was the youngest in her class. Still, at the 75th percentile for height, she was on the slightly high end of average. Then, she skipped a grade, so she is by far the youngest in her class. Sure, there are kids a lot taller than her, espcially now that she's in 5th grade and some of the girls have started to hit their growth spurts, but there are also several girls, two years older, who are the same size or smaller. With puberty beginning anywhere within a several year range, she may yet start growing at the same time as some of her older classmates (her brother started growing quite early). And, even if she doesn't grow early, in a couple years she'll still wind up as one of the tallest in her grade. To me, it is totally worth it to have her be on the shorter end for a few years so that she can have so many of her other needs -- both academic and social -- met. Besides, none of the parents of these classmates of hers who are short ever thought of holding them back because of that. Sure, it happens for boys some, but rarely for girls. So, while YMMV, height has been a complete non-issue for us.

Too, I should add, my DD has been completely integrated into the social groups of her new grade. She is, it turns out, one of the most popular girls in her grade, with everybody wanting to hang out with her and invite her to parties. She still has most of her friends from the grade before the skip, but she truly fits in much better with the kids in her current grade. She used to be shy, I think because she felt like she had to hide her abilities and her true self, but not anymore! Also, parents sometimes worry about what being smaller will mean for sports. Now, my DD is not likely to end up a professional or olympic athlete, but she is currently on a 5th/6th grade volleyball team and totally holding her own as a player.

Last edited by mnmom23; 10/12/10 08:32 AM. Reason: Add stuff

She thought she could, so she did.