You know, my son was really displaying perfectionist tendencies early on, before a year even. He is almost 6 now, and we are home schooling, but one thing I have really learned to focus on with him is not being perfect or producing a "perfect product" but rather "Give it your best. The best you have right now, and realize that "perfect" is not the goal".

In my search for peace with perfectionism flylady.net really points out how perfectionism has taken over much of our lives.....

Anyhow, my son, who sooooo many things come sooooo easy for him and he rarely struggles with anything just started violin and was frustrated that things aren't "perfect". This had been a great time to reiterate "Give this your best, the best you have right now...attitude means so much more than a perfect product".

I have to echo the comments though about asking him to attend to things that are way below him. I couldn't imagine asking my son to sit in a kindergarten class, as he is in no way anywhere near kindergarten level, not handwriting, reading, social skills, and definitely not math! It would be degrading to him to even suggest it, but his age is that of a kindergartner. We chose to home school, and I couldn't imagine a better situation for us, but it may not be for everyone. Have your son tested, learn all you can about his strengths, weaknesses, abilites, learning styles, then develop a plan of action to best meet his individual academic and social needs. If this teacher and this school don't meet that, then explore your options. Mostly, follow your gut. Give it the best you have right now, and feel good about it! smile

My 2 cents.

L