Originally Posted by vmere
what type of reactions do/ did you get if you suggest to family/ friends/ educators that your child maybe gifted?

I think the closest I've ever come to that was saying "I think your kid is in [the cutesy name the district has for the G&T pullout program] with Alex" to a mom whose kid I already knew for certain was in the program. And then we had a nice chat about how people didn't talk about that kind of thing, and that it was a shame that you couldn't talk about it without being "that mom."

Gifted kids come in all different flavors, just like non-gifted kids. So I might say "She used to be slow to warm to new situations, but has really become more accepting of change in the last year," or "If she's with slightly older kids, she generally does a good job of rising to that maturity level," or "If she really wants something, she will find a way to make it happen, but if not, I find I either need to sell her on it or let it go." But I wouldn't say "She's gifted," and expect that information, in and of itself, to be useful to the listener, if you know what I mean.