I absolutely agree that you'll want to keep it short and friendly.

I would avoid suggesting what grade level you think she's at in any given subject. As we all know, grade level widely varies depending on the curriculum, actual proficiency, standards used by that particular school, etc. It's the very easiest thing for them to use to show you're on different pages. It's also easy to backfire with this, since if you underestimate where she is, they might not further challenge her, but if you overestimate, you could leave her with foundational holes (and burn your credibility). They'll quickly be able to see where she's at.

Similarly, saying she is social is wonderful! Talking about other children gravitating towards her is probably unnecessary and overkill, esp. if that doesn't happen right away in this new class.

I would definitely encourage a friendly partnership with the teachers. Tell them you respect their expertise and would like to work closely with them (even if you have to challenge some later day). I wouldn't say she's afraid of taking risks, because that could be seen as a developmental/maturity issue ('though we know differently).

Absolutely volunteer! I was in DS's class one day a week last year, and it was invaluable information when we decided to pull him. I also agree about getting involved. Teachers who know you and depend on you are a LOT more willing to go that extra mile with you.

Also, one thing I've discovered is that when you meet other parents, you'll want to minimize the amount of time you spend spreading talk about how young/gifted she is. Other parents hate it when we're "those kind of people," and as you start your family's time in that school, the more "normal" you are with other parents, the more networking and information you'll gather that can help you in the long run.

I hope she has a great new year, and that you get a great teacher!!

Last edited by gratefulmom; 07/28/10 02:30 PM.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2