Originally Posted by Maryanne1
Our dd is currently reading & writing near mid-late 2nd grade level, understanding multiplication & fractions, etc. Our dd likes to observe before entering a new situation, is (already) a perfectionist, and afraid of taking risks. She deals well with other children and is very well socially adjusted. After the initial break-in period she becomes a leader, even with older children.

Dear Teacher,

(Child's name) is so excited to begin school in your class. She loves school, especially reading. Her two favorite books are (book that she is reading that is above level) and (other book above level, I'd be really careful about mentioning a book that is the peak of her reading level).

We noticed that last year in school, she very much liked getting answers correct and refrained from guessing unless she knew the answer for certain.

She's very social and the other children seem to gravitate towards her. Last year she enjoyed her classmates very much.

Her favorite things to do are:

Her hobbies are:

She gets very upset when:

Thanks for giving us this opportunity to let us tell you about our child. We're looking forward to a great year!

Then have both mom and dad sign.

Don't borrow trouble. If issues come up, and they probably will, take it step by step. It seems so logical to us as parents, to feel like giving them all the pertinent info right up front, right? I mean, who wouldn't want to know that stuff, it'll probably help them in the long run.

Wrong. Teachers think very differently than we do. If you barrage them with too much information up front the can easily become defensive and it's really hard to turn that around once you've started off on the wrong foot.

Additionally, I would suggest you attempt to volunteer with the school parent group if you can. Also if the teacher allows parents to sign up to help in the classroom it's a good idea to do that.

It's a valuable thing to be able to observe your child in the classroom environment if you can. It makes it a lot easier to see whether or not there is a problem.

Best,
Neato

Last edited by incogneato; 07/28/10 01:44 PM.