Originally Posted by Wren
Then last week I was with another mother and we were heading to the library for a puppet show. There was counting going on and the mother was telling how the little girl counted to 23 that morning. I have learned not to say anything, like when a friend whose son is in kindergarten and learning to read and I piped up and said DD is reading the early readers also, I got silence.

I think the right think to say is "That's great. Can you count for me till 23?" or "What does he like to read?" Just be happy for them. I know it's hard not to talk about your daughter, but leave it for a different occasions. It will come up regardless. I remember my son who used to welcome people with chapter books and then proceeded to read them a chapter or two. It used to be quite shocking for the parents of his preschool friends smile

I don't think reading and being able to do math doesn't influence IQ tests. Achievement tests of course but there is no reading in PreK IQ testing or am I mistaken? All that said I remember reading articles about NYC and IQ preparation being offered. I am sure the kids can be prepared for the tests, but all that said I don't find it that surprising that there are so many of them. 98% is not that hight, that's 1 out of 50.
Manhattan has lots of well educated residents and lots of them are gifted and likely to have gifted children, with the price of private schools it's not surprising that people are trying to get their kids to Hunter if possible.

You are really lucky that NYC offers so many gifted programs for their residents. It's sad that the same thing is not applied to the rest of the Tri-state area. BTW why one does have to live only in Manhattan to get to Hunter? Why dont' they include other parts of NYC or suburbs?

LMom