Since people asked, I thought I would start a new thread since I have more information.

Hunter College runs a gifted elementary school and gifted high school in Mnahattan.

I just asked a child psychologist, whose child made the second round, which SB test it was and she didn't know. It is a Stanford Binet. They have a cutoff percentile. Last year it was 97th, this year 98th. They are hoping to only get 200 kids for the second round.

Here are the stats. Also relevant to an article about gender ratios.

1800 asked for the application, 1660 filled it out. 286 made the second round of achieving 98th percentile. 272 made appts. The ratio is 5:4 girls to boys.

In the second round, it is 2 hours long, they evaluate them for what they call true giftedness. I guess that is suppose to take out "hot house" kids. What is a hot house kid?

They look for kids that ask Why? Are highly interested in information. Does anyone's kid get deeply into a topic at 3 or 4 that they wanted to know everything about it? I am not sure how they research a topic. But I would be glad to hear any stories on this. I am curious to know what they would be looking for as I will go through this process next year.

What are the differences between "hot housed" kids and truly gifted, in your experience out there?

Ren