Originally Posted by Wren
DD is in the "Russian" method. They look down on Suzuki. Interesting that I met a violinist who learned on Suzuki and said it was very hard for her to learn to read music in that method.

Not to get off topic, but I think this is a common misconception by teachers outside the Suzuki method. Not that there aren't bad Suzuki teachers out there not taking a balanced approach. But there are bad music teachers out there across the boards.

Both my kids take Suzuki. My kindy violinst started sight reading exercises a few months ago. My piano playing son does at least half his music from outside the Suzuki repertoire and learns everything with the music, two handed, sight reading. He has done theory classes and exams through his Suzuki teacher. Our music school encourages a balanced approach. String students do orchestra and sight reading classes from early ages.

That being said, I think there are some students who really resist working on the sight reading piece of it for whatever reason. I think the opportunities are there, but teachers can't force you to work on it. I grew up taking Suzuki violin in the 70's and 80's. I had no problem learning to read music for violin.