Thanks for all the useful info. I like switching the pieces around but her regular teacher gave us a list and specific instructions. We have a student teach her at the beach.

There is a reason for this. She has been playing quite complicated pieces. We have tried to make them "simpler" to start getting her to read the music but but they were never simple enough that she was interested enough to play them and could start at the beginning to read them.

So it was a plan to break her pattern of memorizing pieces by giving me simple enough pieces that have dynamics and polyphonics and work with her over the summer. And her reward is getting to go back to really complicated pieces she loves to play but get her to read the music while learning to play them.

And it really isn't that hard to get the basics of reading the music but she just wants to play something fun instead what we are working on. And although she can memorize amazing amounts of info when she wants to, getting her to remember Good Boys Do Fine Always seems very difficult. But I think her brain isn't letting her be so resistant to repition and by the end of July she will have it down. I was in the next room when she had her piano lesson today and the student/teacher was thrilled she actually looked up while playing. She told me that it is difficult to teach her because her memory is so good. Yes, how does that make sense? But she can memorize the piece before she has to read the music to play it.

And I would like to change the time of day. But...it is also a time when she needs to be out of the sun. And later on, there have been snacks shared, sometimes sugar filled, on the beach, which has its own challenges.

Ren