Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
Once and a while when she showed interest I would attempt to 'teach' her but learned really quickly that it wasn't a good idea. I finally decided that when she is ready she will let me know and she did, but I think the reason she wasn't ready was because she wasn't 'perfect' at it. The minute she makes a mistake she clams up and has nothing to do with it.

So without forcing them or using incentives which doesn't work on DD; how do you get them to try and accept that you have to practice? That is the big question that I still haven't figured out.
What happens if you just let them work it out for themselves? I mean, don't teach, don't correct, just help when asked? (This is different from waiting till she's ready for you to teach her, which might never happen. It's not always that easy - John Holt wrote about the "teacher devil" sitting on his shoulder, and his struggles to get rid of it, and this struck a chord with me!) The importance of practice is pretty obvious from one's own experience, after all; I don't think I buy the idea that children have to be taught this. Crows seem to learn that they have to practise using sticks to get things out of bottles, after all - it isn't a very sophisticated concept. I daresay it can't hurt for parents to model it - doing things they don't find easy, persevering, using their intelligence to get better - but I doubt that that's all that important. Personally I find it plausible that undermotivated adults are those who as children had too much extrinsic motivation as children, not too little.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail