Originally Posted by spiritedmama
Originally Posted by connieculkins
IMO, anything below I40 is just bright and the child should not get differentiated instruction.

And I do not agree that 140 is the GT cutoff!!!
I have children well above 140 and a child tested in 130's. I can tell you for sure that my 130 kid is not just "bright." There are strengths and weaknesses to each of them not solely dependent on that IQ score they got on that one test on that one day......

Thanks for saying this. I agree completely.

Saying this as gently as possible...I think remarks like "anyone with a score below x is just 'bright' " can be hurtful statements. Whether intended to be that way or not, they can make people feel inadequate for not having an IQ higher than x (in this case, past the 99.6th percentile). The lack of this sort of thing has always been one of my favorite things about this board.

There are so many other things that can drive a need for a differentiated curriculum past a simple IQ score, such as level of creativity (LOC, anyone?) and drive. And IQ isn't necessarily tied to artistic ability or musical ability. People with those talents need differentiated instruction, too, as do talented athletes. Plus, people can be very talented in one or two areas, and at the average or above in others. In spite of incredible talent in one area, these people might have overall IQs below a magic cutoff number.

This is just my 2c; if I'm being rude, let me know and I won't write like this in the future....

smile

Val

Last edited by Val; 05/07/10 10:40 AM. Reason: Clarity