Fun topic smile
One group scoring below another on average does NOT demonstrate that the test is biased (and should therefore be "adjusted" in the manner you described). I understand that you are describing a practice, not endorsing it.

I'll also clarify that minorities does include low income which is around 60% in our district. Our schools gets $ from the state for every "gifted" kid, so I'd endorse it on that fact alone, our gifted services need the all the help it can get wink

I think that most tests are going to be biased during the early years but I also think that bias levels off some by high school. My opinion no research or facts smile
My thoughts are that children from low income families are less likely to have been to a zoo and yet the IQ tests ask analogy questions about animials. They are also less likey to have computers, books, maps, or to have traveled out of their city. I think this lack of early exposure to world gives them a disadvantage, especially on the verbal sections of the tests.

Another thought..
We don't watch sports in our house at all. No reason it's just not our thing.
My DD told me after her IQ test that she was shown a picture of a baseball game and she was supposed to tell the lady what was missing. Little wonder she didn't know. So, according that question my DD may be less gifted than a kid who's family is into sports.