Originally Posted by momma2many
Originally Posted by connieculkins
IMO, anything below I40 is just bright and the child should not get differentiated instruction. .

differentiation is not just for gifted students. the idea is that all kids will get what they need at their level. ideally, differentiation would occur in every classroom to meet the needs of every student- low or high....not just the super smarty pants kids. when differentiation is done correctly, EVERY student benefits. if you had a kindergarten student who knew the entire alphabet, but was not gifted, they should not be made to sit through the entire letter b lesson just because they don't have an iq over 140.

YES!! differentiation should be for all students. This would be the optimal setup for everyone!

And I do not agree that 140 is the GT cutoff!!! I have seen many 130 kids want to pull there hair out in the regular classroom (including my own son.) I cried many a days during his K and 1st grade year because he was SO miserable and misunderstood (and we are in an upper middle class low minority school district.) When he moved to a Full Time gifted classroom in 2nd life changed for him. He connects with other kids, the work is somewhat challenging and he feels safe in that environment.

I have children well above 140 and a child tested in 130's. I can tell you for sure that my 130 kid is not just "bright." There are strengths and weaknesses to each of them not solely dependent on that IQ score they got on that one test on that one day......