Originally Posted by Learningmom
Since I took him out of public school, we've been fortunate to have found a group of 6 boys that he really enjoys. They range from his ago to about 12 and we get together 2-4 times a week. He doesn't seem to be anymore intense than any of the others and they all seem to interact really well. This would have been different than what was seen in school. I see him as being very flexible at home unless a video game is involved. LOL. When we do school, there is still a puzzling tantrum that occurs about once a week and I'm not sure what it is yet. I think it's anxiety /perfectionism and that's the way I'm approaching it for now. It's helpful to me to hear what the services are in the school system, to see if I can arrange them at home or elsewhere.

Shellymos- We had an incident similar to the one you described with you daughter that just stopped me in my tracks. Flooded kitchen and he was discussing a video game. I just thought 'this isn't right'.

LOL, there are lots of moments where I think things are odd with DS5 too. When in crisis situations like that, when you mention it to him does he get it? Like when DS is talking about something completely different while someone is hurt...when I explain it to him he usually gets it and is able to get how non-empathetic he is being. He generally is very caring and asks what is wrong and what others think and all that.

That is great you have found a good group for DS to mix with. I have noticed with our DS that he does much better with older kids, he does okay with kids his age but he doesn't interact verbally as much as just goofing around. With older kids and adults he enjoys conversation with them.

And about the puzzling tantrum your DS has, I am not sure but our DS goes through times and moments where he is more emotional about things and overreacts. It isn't that common and he is a very laid back kid...but when he gets like that we are always baffled.