Originally Posted by Learningmom
Does anyone know what the special ed services would look like for that kind of diagnosis?

It varies based on the school...but as far as schools are concerned that diagnosis can get him the same services that a diagnosis of aspergers or autism can get him if needed. might be some pull-out, social work services, social skills groups, etc. Or may just be classroom modifications. My feeling about diagnoses in general is that if it fits and it is helpful then it's not a problem. When it doesn't fit, or if there is no need for it to get certain services I don't see much of the point. I think it is normal to question it and doesn't mean you are in denial. I am full aware of the criteria for diagnosis and a lot of these PG kids have some elements of the criteria but are still not diagnosable.

For example, my DS5 (PG) used to be very sound sensitive (not so much any more) and used to spin in circles and started a bout of hand flapping for weeks that has since gone away. He has lots of little quirks here and there. Sometimes he doesn't recognize things that you would think he should (like last night we went to a school related event where he saw a friend from his class from the side and said "that looks just like my friend from school" but didn't realize that it was his friend. When I asked if it was him he said "I am not sure, but he is wearing the same shirt he was earlier today" LOL) He has great eye contact at times, and other times just zones off when people are talking to him. He is a very empathetic and caring child, but sometimes something can happen and has no reaction (like his sister could have hurt herself and be crying and he would say "mom, what is for lunch today?") I could go on with more little quirks because the list continues. He is who he is and we love him. Of course I could also make a long list of how he completely does not meet the diagnostic criteria for PDD, but you never know how things would turn out of a rating scale were completed on him. You have to look at the whole child. But like I said, if the diagnosis is helpful than it can't hurt. It's not like the diagnosis can't be taken away at some point if it doesn't fit.