Originally Posted by Irisheyes
Honestly, it took until recently for her to want to pick up and read a lengthier chapter book although she's been able to read at that level for quite some time.

I think her eyes had to catch up with her brain.

Oh, and she also loved the Daisy Meadows Fairy Books. There are dozens of them. But she's a self-described "Friend of the fairies" ... so it was a natural fit.

You could have been describing my five-year-old. Something has changed recently, and she can now eat those Fairy Books. Example: she started one last night for bedtime reading and finished it this morning. I had to run out and get the next one in the series, and we're halfway through it already.

We take turns reading pages out loud, though sometimes she just barrels ahead to a page that should be mine. She can now read a page almost as quickly as I can, but there's still some kind of fatigue thing going on. For example, she starts missing easy words (and, her) after she's been reading for a half-hour or so.

Nono5, have you tried giving your DD Level 3 or 4 DK Readers? They have lots of pictures. Other random DK books can be captivating even if you don't read them word-for-word.

Val