I'm just curious about when your early readers started on real (i.e., not Amanda Pig or Frog and Toad type) chapter books.

My DD (just turned 4) reads very, very well, and has been able to read at at least a 4th grade level for 6 months or so. But, with a few exceptions, she prefers to read books with pictures on every page. I wouldn't mind, and really I don't mind, but she reads in the car on our weekly drive into town and it's gotten to the point where I can bring a stack of twenty books and she'll read them all before we're even there. And then she wants to talk to me the whole way home (which isn't really possible due to our noisy old car) and gets angry when I can't hear what she's saying.

So, basically, I'm wondering if anyone else has had a very fluent early reader who was reluctant to read chapter books, and if so, when it finally happened and, especially, what books were big hits. Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not hoping that she'll give up picture books at all. I just wish she'd read chapter books on trips. I think it'd significantly reduce the frustration level on Mondays.